Josh B Self Introduction
My name is Josh Brauner and I am going into my 5th
year of studies. My major is bioinformatics which is under the medicine
bachelor and essentially combines health science, computer science, and
statistics. I am also pursuing a minor in Japanese. I have several reasons for
wanting to do a minor in Japanese and subsequently doing the group study
program to Japan. The first of these reasons is personal. I have always wanted
to learn another language and Japanese culture has fascinated me for a long
time. I have been watching anime for over 10 years now and that is where my
initial interest in Japan came from. In 2014, I got to visit Japan for 10 days
as a school trip and got to experience what the culture was like first hand. What
fascinated me most was how the Japanese seamlessly mix the old traditional
Japan with modern Japan. During my travels, we visited many temples which
somehow seemed to be perfectly normal despite being in the middle of busy urban
areas, a sight that is far less common in western society where the closest
equivalent is the presence of churches. My next reason for wanting to learn
Japanese and go on this program is academic. As mentioned, I am pursuing a
minor in Japanese which, at this stage in my degree, I need this program to
complete. Furthermore, I am planning on pursuing my graduate studies in Japan
either at the University of Tokyo or an institution in Osaka. I am choosing Japan
as my place of study because it is currently a leader in my field being that my
field is reliant on the development of technology. My final reason for wanting
to learn Japanese and take this program is professional. Upon finishing my graduate
studies, I plan on continuing to work in Japan at a research institute, likely
connected with whoever I work under during my graduate studies. What I am most
looking forward to during this group study program is exploring the anime
culture of Japan as well as the sports culture, specifically figure skating. I
have already mentioned my interest in anime but what gets me excited about sports
and specifically figure skating in Japan is that the Japanese people have a
reputation for being some of the best fans in the world, supporting athletes
from any nation and figure skating happens to be one of the most popular sports
in Japan. I am really looking forward to experiencing that for myself and being
able to explore how figure skating became so popular in Japan.
Comments
Post a Comment